Tuesday 21 August 2012

Adventures in dyeing a wrap, part 1

Dying is fun.

Oops, sorry, dyeing is fun. My dye arrived in the post today and I'm excited about it, because I'm trying to make my woven wrap into exactly the colour I want. If you don't know what a woven wrap is, it's a long piece of material you carry a baby in. Or a todder. Or an older child, should you so desire. Find out more here.


This is how my wrap started out (it had already been dyed before I got it). See the pretty swans? No, not really. There's the problem. 
So I put it in the wash with thiourea dioxide and soda ash and it came out like this.
Still some colour in it. So I did it again. That's better, a nice blank canvas. Yes, I know you can't see the swans.

Here's the trick - this wrap is made of a blend of cotton, linen and silk. The silk only shows on one side of the wrap for the background and on the other side for the swans. So I dyed the wrap using acid dye, which dyes animal fibres but not cellulose fibres - ie the silk but not the cotton or linen.
And now it looks like this. Unfortunately it's not what I wanted. Due to an error with the washing machine (the error was that it was too clever by half, like Microsoft Word) I wasn't able to leave the wrap in 90º water for half an hour like I was supposed to. That delicate shade is supposed to be dark lilac. Like this.

Cut to today, and my new packet of dye has arrived in the post. (This is Sheffield. You can't just go to a shop and buy Jacquard Acid Dye Lilac 612.) And tonight I will redye, oh yes I will just you wait and see. (But in a different washing machine.)

Watch this space. This is the colourway I'm aiming for in the end... but I have no illusions it will end up like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment